Monday, May 30, 2011

Memorial Day - A Brief Observation

"Do this in remembrance of me" - the words of Jesus at The Last Supper, when we as Catholics believe the sacrament of the Eucharist was instituted. Many interpret this phrase to mean something in the flavor of that cheesy Phantom of the Opera song: "Think of me, think of me fondly when we've said goodbye..." However, for Jews at the time of Christ, the religious ritual of remembering the Passover was experienced as actually entering into that moment of history and reliving it. Very cool.

Similarly, receiving the Eucharist "in remembrance" of Christ is to insert ourselves into the Paschal Mystery of Jesus' passion, death and Resurrection. Add to that the concept of the Church as Jesus' Mystical Body, and all the baptized being a member of that body, and what you've got is a profound and incredible idea: that when we receive the Eucharist (the minister holds the host before you and says "Body of Christ", to which we respond "Amen", meaning "I believe so strongly in what you have just said that I will stake my life on it"), we are not only receiving the Lord, but also all those who (by grace) are members of His Body.

So, on this national day of remembering those who have died, (in old school theological language we call those in heaven "the Church Triumphant") we as Catholics can truly celebrate that those we love who have died are not far away, they are not gone! In fact, they are even closer to us than ever through the power of the sacraments. We have no need for seances or trying to "contact the other side" - because those who are now full of perfect love come to us at Mass. We do not grieve without hope, for those who have died in grace are not lost. They are with us.

Today, I thank God for: the life of my Grandpa, his brother Tom, my mom's cousin Kim, and my boyfriend's Aunt Annette. Pray for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment